This keto lasagna is layered with “noodles” topped with delicious meat sauce, creamy ricotta cheese & mozzarella cheese. Perfect for when you want comfort food or when outside temps are cold. Make extra & freeze it!
INGREDIENTS for “Noodles”
· 2 large eggs
· 4 oz cream cheese, softened
· 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
· 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
· 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
· 1/4 tsp garlic powder
· 1/4 tsp onion powder
· 1 tbsp gound flax seed
· Avocado oil (spray)
INGREDIENTS for Filling
· 1 pound ground beef
· 1 1/2 cups pasta/marinara sauce (I use 1 jar Muir Glen Organic Tomato Basil)
· 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I buy a block & shred myself)
· 6 tablespoons whole milk ricotta cheese
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon dried basil
· 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
· 1 tbsp ground flax seed
FOR THE “NOODLES”:
1. Preheat oven to 375° Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with avocado oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and eggs.
3. Next, add Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder and flax seed. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold in mozzarella cheese and mix until well incorporated.
5. Spread the mixture into the baking dish, forming a nice even layer (it will spread as it bakes).
6. Bake on the middle rack for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. When the "noodles" are done baking, cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes and then cut into thirds. This makes three perfectly sized "noodle" layers for an 8.5 X 4.5 X 2.5 loaf pan.
FOR THE FILLING:
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine the ground beef, onion, oregano, garlic powder, dried basil and salt. Cook until the meat is browned.
2. Drain excess fat from pan and add 1 cup pasta sauce to meat. Reduce heat.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. Pour ¼ cup marinara sauce into bottom of loaf pan. Top with the first “noodle” layer
2. Layer a third of the ground beef mixture. Top with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and 3 tbsp ricotta cheese, and cover with another “noodle” layer. Repeat these steps.
3. Cover the top “noodle” layer with remaining meat sauce, marinara and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Italian seasonings over top. Bake for 20 minutes.
· Be sure that you are using parchment paper and not wax paper -- They are NOT interchangeable. The noodles will stick to wax paper. It is also a good idea to grease your parchment paper with avocado oil.
· Have fun with it, every time I make it, it ends up slightly different. You can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta. You can also add mushrooms and/or onions either in the sauce or in with your meat. I used to mix the sauce & meat all the time when I first stated making this, but now I just layer them separately when building the lasagna.
· The beautiful thing about “whole milk” products, they can be very protective for the body due to the milk fat globulin membrane, so don’t fear the fat!
· You can substitute goat cheese instead of cream cheese. It’s hard to find cream cheese with minimal ingredients.